Carbon Monoxide can be a killer in your family home, are you keeping your family safe?
We are waiting for the delivery of a new purchase in the Kideeko household. Not so surprising I hear you say…however there is something a little special about this product and that is that it could well save our lives. Not a bad result for an item that has cost us less than an evening at the cinema.
When we started researching this article we were shocked by the statistics and equally surprised that we ourselves, who tend to put safety of our family high on the list of things that are important, did not have a carbon monoxide detector. We were feeling very proud to have a working fire/smoke alarm that was regularly checked. It had never occurred to us that we would ever have a problem with poisonous gas in our house; after all, surly we would smell that?
Important facts you should know:
What causes Carbon Monoxide?
Normally fuel creates carbon dioxide which is harmless but when there is not enough oxygen available carbon monoxide is produced and released into your environment.
What are the physical symptoms of Carbon Monoxide poisoning?
With a reported 50 deaths and approx. 4000 other people treated in hospitals across the UK - some seriously ill - there is obviously cause for concern. The problem seems to be that the early symptoms are similar to that of flu or tiredness and is something that your doctor does not generally ask you when you go along to the doctor.