We are all looking forward to days outside in the sunshine – if it ever decides to show up, but there are some mini beasts that we need to avoid!
A day out in the sun can be ruined if one of your party gets stung. So what can we do to avoid certain mini beasts and what should we do to help a small person if they do get stung?
These have got to be on the top of our mini-beasts-to-avoid list and with good reason. Wasp stings cause the most allergic reactions in the UK. What we found surprising is that a wasp sting does not usually trigger an allergic reaction from your system on the first sting. It is not until the second or third sting that your body would react.
You should never try to swat a wasp, this will make them cross and they will be far more likely to sting you. Try and move everyone away calmly and quietly. If the wasp does sting, you will be injected with wasp venom. This is what causes an allergic reaction in some people.
If you spot a wasp nest near to your home or in the garden you must call the council or a pest control officer so that a professional can remove it. Never try and remove it yourself. You run the risk of suffering serious wasp stings and you will not be popular with your neighbours either.
Bees are unlikely to sting you unless they feel threatened. When a bee stings you it leaves the bee sting in you, actually resulting in it’s own death as part of the bee's body breaks off. It is very important to remove that sting as soon as possible. As far as allergies to bee stings, it is unlikely that the same person would be allergic to both bee and wasp stings.
Bees love sugary drinks so always check your drink before taking a sip.